Monday, September 12, 2011

Black Out



When the black out started, I was at band practice. We were practicing for the field show for Friday's football game. We were all surprised to hear what had happened, especially when we went into the band room. It was dark with only one or two light bulbs still on. It took a while for the late bus to arrive, and I was growing impatient because of the heat. I did not feel any good at all.

My mom was panicking when I finally got home from school. She had asked me why I was late from school and if there was no light at school too. Before all the electricity went out, my mom was preparing to cook a Filipino dish for us to eat when we got home. Unfortunately it was never finished, since the fire of the stove would not light up.

After a while of waiting for my mom to return from finding food for us to eat, seeing as what we mostly had were needed for a microwave, or any heated utensil, she came home with a few candles to help us see in the dark. In the end, I ate Fruit Loops and Cheez- Its. My brother and I had decided to read the rest of the day, since there was nothing else we could think of doing. Eventually, I ended up sleeping at around 10 PM, the earliest time I have slept in a long time.


Unfortunately, our dependence on electricity is high, mainly for entertainment such as watching a television show and playing video games. Many have relied on communicating with others through the internet. During the black out, a number of people have realized the many activities that they were unable to do because of their time dedicated to the T.V. or the computer and such. Some were able to ride their bike, walk around the block, spend time with friends, and even have family time! From this, we should all occupy our time with other activities and use other tools that do not require electricity. Doing this will save electic and our money.

No comments:

Post a Comment