Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Blackout 2011




It was a thursday afternoon when i had just arrived from school and i was watching t.v. in my mom's room. Then all of a sudden, the t.v. turns off. At first i got scared, too many scary movies i guess, and then i tried turning it on again. Then i heard my mom from downstairs saying the t.v. from the living room turned off. So we started turning on the light switches, except the lights didnt turn on, so thats when we knew we were in a blackout out. We thought it was only in that area but then we heard the blackout was happening around all San Diego and parts of New Mexico and Arizona. So there we were, me, my mom, my grandma, my aunt, my baby cousin, and my too little brothers. My dad didnt get home until like 8 at night because of all the traffic. Because of the blackout, there was no electricity, power, internet, etc. It really sucked not having internet because i couldnt go on facebook-_-. So as the sun started setting, it started to get darker, and were frantically looking for candles and flashlights. Once it got all dark, my mom lit up the candles and set them all around the house. We were lucky to have found enough candles but the house was still kind off dark. My dogs at least had the moonlight, so they werent in the dark outside.Outside it was pitch black. It was as if all of the houses were empty, with no life. The sky, though, looked beautiful. Without all of the streetlights, the moon looked really bright and there were more stars than i had ever seen. Alot of my neighbors were outside sitting on beach chairs just talking and enjoying the moment. Since all of my naighbors are mexican like us, we joined them(: When my dad got home, he started taking out the food from the fridge and putting it in a little freezer so that it wouldnt rot. That blakout was a really fun experience for me. It made us see how much we rely on electricity and how we would go crazy without it. It also caused more family bonding and i got to know alot of my neighbors. I must admitt i was a little disappointed when the power came back on........that blackout was fun(:


No comments:

Post a Comment