Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Blackout 09.08.11


During the blackout, I actually had a good experience like i never thought I was actually going to have fun. When the blackout started, I was home alone and I was at the kitchen. I was going to make some food to eat but then, the light in the kitchen turned off and the first thing that came to my head was "Oh no, a blackout." and I just stopped doing what I was doing and laid on the couch. I called my mom and told her there was a blackout. She told me that it was happening there at downtown too. I was a little worried but not as worried. So i just laid on the couch and took a nap. When I woke up my parents were not home yet and it was already 6! I slightly panicked but I knew I had to stay calm and I did. They soon got home and we brought down all the flashlights and candles and when it got dark, we lit them up. My dad was outside on the grill making some adobo and some Filipino food using the barbecue grill and my mom and I were inside. I was doing homework using a flashlight and at the same time I was thinking about the pep assembly that was suppose to happen the next day. I was somewhat disappointed because the c/o 2014 council made posters, t-shirts and we were really pumped up for the pep assembly. I got over it because I knew there were other pep assemblies throughtout the year and I should just enjoy this one time in a blackout. My neighborhood was so lively! People were outside barbecuing, kids and parents were still out at the park and I could hear their mini mopeds and scooters in the park. My mom and I were inside and she was telling me stories about blackouts in the Philippines. Later on, I went outside to the backyard on the swing and went star gazing. I love star gazing but usually here in San Diego, it is really hard to see the stars but that night, it was perfect. The moon was bright and so were the stars. It was relaxing and during that time, i did not even care about the time or what to do. I just relaxed and chilled and it was such a great experience for me. Honestly, I am wishing we have that more. Our modern society is dependent on electricity. We need electricity because it gives us light and it supplies our home with energy for computers, fridges, etc and without it, life is difficult for us. We do not know how to cook food, we need light to see. So electricity is a necessity to our modern daily lives but at least like once in a while, we should have another blackout, so we can appreciate things in life more and have a time of relaxing and calmness.

No comments:

Post a Comment