Monday, September 12, 2011

Blackout Experience















I was coming home from school in my bus and walking home after my bus dropped me off. That was the only thing that was going to be ordinary in my day. I had recently ordered my new bow off the internet and was waiting for it to arrive by UPS and I could not wait to start practicing with my new bow. I ran the last 5 meters home , eager to see if it had arrived or not. With enough energy, I arrived, enough to run around the house with my new bow. Before I opened it, I remembered that my Facebook buddies had also wanted to see my new bow so I waited to open it until I had shown them also. As fast as I could I turned on my old desktop computer and waited for it to turn on. I sat there for about three seconds waiting for my desktop to turn on, when my Mexican Instincts started working and I side-kicked my desktop computer in frustration. Wondering why it did not work I went outside and checked the electricity meter and attached to it I saw a sticker that claimed that my, "..service has been cut.". I raced back inside and checked the time only to see that my microwave and stove clocks also were not working. The images racing trough my mind were horrible. At first, I thought, "my dad must not have paid the electricity.". But recently I had seen a movie trailer of the new movie called Contagion and was a bit traumatized after seeing it so I was really worried about what caused it to happen. I raced back to my laptop and turned it on hoping that I had charged it the night before, and as soon as I saw it turn on, I went to Facebook completely forgetting the matter of having no electricity entirely. Slowly and carefully I opened my box in case of any mix ups in bow model or size. I was ecstatic and overjoyed seeing my new bow after waiting seven whole days. I took a picture of my bow and uploaded it on my Facebook to show to my friends who were also wanting to see my new bow. After that I remember that the electricity was out and posted a status on Facebook regarding how there was a blackout in Southern California and Nevada and even in Tijuana. I might have posted something about terrorists causing it because Obama was giving his speech that day but I do not really remember because I was really worried about terrorists coming trough my back door and watching my television and eating my liver. So me and my family started preparing for a blackout emergency-which I really thought was a terrorist attack in disguise-preparing and packing the essentials and necessities. I brought one of my old messenger bags and packed my transcript, yearbook, and elementary school graduation certificate in case there were bombings and I needed my important documents with me. In my bag I also packed a flashlight, some cookies, my manga, a hat, and about 12 packets of hand sanitizer. Secretly, I also took a rolling pin, a fork, a butter knife, and the most important thing I would need, my new bow for protection. Ready for anything I took a shower and waited for anything to happen, and after I finished taking my shower I noticed a newspaper that read," Como preparese en cazo de un apagon!"-" How to be prepared in case of a blackout". Then I thought that it was not only the terrorists but also the government and SDG&E its self that were trying to control us. But time went by and I started getting bored of the idea of waiting for terrorists to come and try and kill me. Soon I started to find information about what happened to the electricity and knew that the blackout affected almost all of Southern California and Nevada and even some parts of Mexico. After reading that, I felt reassured that no terrorists were going to try and eat me. My dad came home and told us that he left his computers plugged in in his work and we should go and unplug them in case all the electricity came rushing back and fries all the circuits. On the way back we stopped at 7 eleven and they were giving away free ice cream. The day turned out much happier that I thought.
___________________________________________________________________
As a society, we are very used to the idea of having electricity at the flip of a switch or the press of a button, so in effect, when we do not have that which we are accustomed with we feel a sudden sense of nostalgia and longing for that which we had but do not really appreciate until we truly need of it. We need to change our ways to adapt to change and how we respond to losing things we need. If third world countries and our ancestors can manage, why can we not? We can not because of our consumer mentality and factors like fear and anger that change how we think of people instantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment