Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Blackout

The blackout last Thursday was an interesting experience for all of us, since we depend on electricity for everything we do in our daily lives. For some people, it could have been inconvenient, but for a lot, it had been spent bonding with other people or just relaxing. As for me, I did not hear about this blackout until about half an hour after it had happened. I was at color guard practice, and we were practicing outside, so none of us knew about it until later. When I got home, I immediately tried to get everything done, such as homework, while the sun was still out. I didn't do much later when it got dark; I just sat out on my balcony, with a flashlight in hand, reading a book. Without much to do, I went to sleep earlier than usual, on the floor next to the sliding door since it was much too hot inside the house without a/c.

We depend on electricity for pretty much everything we do in our daily lives. I think it would be hard to go one full day without it. Without it, we wouldn't be able to walk through the halls of our house at night without getting lost in the dark. We wouldn't have entertainment, such as the TV and video games. It would keep us from getting our work done if it had something to do with the computer or internet. Also, it would keep us from enjoying our luxury needs, such as the air conditioner or fan on hot days, or a heater on cold ones. But I think this one night of no electricity was a good eye-opener for all of us. It makes people appreciate the little things they have in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment