Monday, September 12, 2011

Blackout Experience and Opinion

September 8, 2011, there was a widespread blackout in Orange County, San Diego, and Yuma, Arizona. I was in the Decathlon room, 202 learning about section 4 Super Quiz right before an Academic League meeting when suddenly the lights when out. But Mr. Chico still continued on his lesson. After the lesson, we welcomed the incoming freshman for Academic League and we talked about new shirts, games, and basic information. As captain of the JV team, I had to sit down with a few of the freshman along with Coach Boulton. Then when we were dismissed, my mom picked me up. I went upstairs to do my homework as usual, but I was rushing before the sun came down because I did not want to use the candle. Once I found out there was no school on Friday, I stopped everything and just hung out downstairs. I was elated and I celebrated by playing the piano. Then my dad came home and we ate a Caprese salad and dumplings. Then we all slept in the living room together.

I believe Americans rely on electricity a lot. Especially teenagers, because we need the internet to do homework or chat with friends. We also depend on electricity to make food and to preserve it. Without the refrigerator, all the food will become stale and without the stove, oven, or microwave, we will not be able to cook fast and efficiently. And without light we cannot see when we are performing tasks, doing homework, or when we are doing pretty much anything. Luckily, some people own an iPhone or laptop, which allows us to use it without electricity from our homes. These devices are highly relied on during blackouts. But one thing electricity takes away from families is bonding time. Usually the kids are playing which takes away from that time, but with a blackout, families get closer and bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment