Tuesday, September 13, 2011

San Diego Blackout 2011



The warm air danced with the dark in my house on September 8th 2011. It was the first power outage I had experienced since a while back and my personal experience was not as bad as others might have had. Yes, it was very humid inside the house and my mom may have had to use almost all of the candles we owned but I was able to make the best out of it. I got to sit with my family in the backyard and ate dinner under the stars and the full glowing moon. However, this experience brought me to realize how much humans depend on electricty. Due to the technology that swiftly develops today, humans have relied too much on it. Panic struck when the lights went off. People suddenly crowded local Walmarts for water jugs, candles, flashlights, etc. Families were worried of their food stock that could rot without refrigeration and most constantly complained about the heat that could not be cooled due to no air conditioning. I hope people realize how technology is gradually taking over society. If humans are really as intelligent as they proclaim, we must learn to be less dependent on factors such as electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment