Monday, September 12, 2011

The Blackout


On September 8th, 2011 an unexpected power outage hit the southwestern corner of the continental United States. Many homes were left without electricity and water that were needed due to the soaring temperatures over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The blackout created a lot of traffic which cause people to get home hours later than usual. Also, the outage made a variety of local stores sell things very quickly and close as soon as possible. Around 4:00 PM, the outage reached Olympian High School. I was still at school because I had to stay for Academic Decathlon. Once the lights went out, we had to open the blinds and the doors in order to let light and air inside the classroom so we could continue our lecture. Once that was done, I had to wait for my dad about an hour more than usual because the stoplights were not functioning. When we arrived to my house, I began my homework so I could finish before the sun sets. I still believed that the electricity was going to be back up soon, I thought that I was still going to have school. After I finished all of my homework, my dad had told me that the school called stating that school was canceled. Great timing. Throughout the whole night, all of my family went outside and gazed at the stars and make a barbecue. I went walking around the neighborhood with my sister and cousin too. The blackout appeared at a perfect timing because it took off a lot of stress off my shoulders. This also created a bigger and better bond between my family and me.
The massive power outage in San Diego showed how today's society is too dependent in electricity. With new gadgets and technology, people are too busy and entertained which take time away from being with the family. Also, being too dependent in electricity is bad in an area where earthquakes occur usually. The outage conveyed how we were not ready for this situation due to the dependency in technology. I believe that technology can have its good and bad factors but should be utilized in moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment