Monday, September 12, 2011

SD's Blackout


So before the blackout, I was at the YMCA for practice. We were dancing with the lovely air-conditioning and the music blasting in the room and all of a sudden, the lights go out and complete silence fills the room. My director went to ask whats going on and the workers said that all the electricity in the YMCA was gone and that we had to go outside. At first we all thought if was just the YMCA but we soon found out that the blackout was all throughout the county. After practicing in the heat, my friend and I wasted time driving around the area to look for food and drinks. At Target, things were really cheap! They were selling liters of soda for 99 cents and packs of soda for about 3 dollars. We ended our trips around the stores at around 7-ish and I was dropped off home. Once I got home I got straight to homework. I lit up some candles and got to work. My mom made sandwiches for the family and I was able to finish most of my homework. At around 9, people began to text me that there was no school the following day. I ended up my homework session and ate my food. Once 10 o'clock came around, there was nothing else to do so I decided to fall asleep.

This blackout made me realize how important the little things in life are. Many people are dependent on electricity and so many other things in the world we live in and there are some parts in the world that do not even have electricity or even homes. The blackout was a perfect example of the saying "You never know what you have until you lose it." I bet many people learned how truly blessed they are to have things like electricity in their daily lives that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment