Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Blackout


The blackout last Thursday happened while I was at band, so i didn't get to experience it when it initially happened. Mr. Mabrey told all of us in band that there was a power outage. I didn't think it was a big deal because they just happen sometimes. When band was over and my dad picked me up I was listening to the radio in the car. I heard that some power line got disrupted from Arizona to somewhere up north. I heard parts of Arizona and some southern parts in orange county went out as well. I thought this was more serious than I thought it was. When i got home it was really hot. That day we just got cable and internet, so i was a little mad I couldn't finally watch TV. I did my homework while it was still light out, just in case the power would be out a little longer. After I finished, my family and I left and looked for water because we ran out of bottled water. We went to The Home Depot, but they ran out, so we went to Target, but they ran out as well. We finally saw people at an Arco gas station and tried there. We found some water bottles and bought about 6 bottles. We then went home and listened to a battery radio for a while. My Dad, brother and I stayed outside for a little and looked at the moon and stars. We went to bed shortly after that.
The next morning, I went to use the bathroom and I tried to turn the lights on. When I saw it work I ran and woke my brother up and we went downstairs and watched TV till my parents woke up.
I think we depend on electricity too much. While my family and I were searching for water, we saw many people in stores freaking out and overreacting to the whole situation. We should try to depend less on using electricity and formulate plans for when stuff like this happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment