Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Pen Tablet

There are several type of tablets in the world, many with different purposes, but my most treasured tablet of all is the pen tablet. The pen tablet that I own is a large, black, and thin rectangular object in which you can draw digital art on programs such as photoshop. The tablet has a USB cord that I simply plug into my computer, and when the light at the top flashes blue, I know it is ready for me to begin my drawing. The tablet comes equipped with a special black pen that is used specifically for that tablet alone. It is run on a small battery, and no ink is contained in the pen. Instead, it has a small magnetic tip that the tablet itself can sense when the pen touches the tablet surface or comes near. This is convenient because it won’t sense your hand if it touches the pad and affect your drawing. Users of the tablet must be careful not to lose this pen, as it is hard to find replacements without having to buy a new tablet all together. However, if it is the tip of the pen that you lose, or it simply runs down, the pack comes with three extra tips to insert, provided with instruction on how to do so. At least, that is the way it is for my brand, the ‘Genius’ tablet. I can not, however, be certain about the several other brands of drawing tablets. For those who are prone to losing things –such as me– the pen comes with a small holder, so it does not roll off your desk, and it also makes it much easier to spot among a cluttered space.

Around the drawing area are several pictures of computer icons, such as ones that open your internet browser, open files, magnify the page, open Paint, chat, print things out, etc… it is an easy way to navigate your computer, without using a mouse. This being said, you may have already inferred that the tablet is not just for working with artist subjects, but it can also be used as a makeshift mouse to move your cursor. Two small buttons on the side of the tablet pen are basically your right and left-click buttons on the mouse. If you do not want to waste time clicking those buttons, or it just feels uncomfortable, simply press the pen down lightly on the tablet surface to choose whatever it is you were trying to click. Another reason that I love my tablet so much, is that the long wire allows me to lay on my bed, while drawing on the computer at the same time (which is why in the photo, the tablet is on my bed, rather than on the computer). This keeps me from getting sore from sitting in a chair for hours, when I already have to do that for around seven hours at school. Overall, the tablet makes drawing digital art more enjoyable for most artists, and also much easier than drawing with a mouse.

(These are a couple drawing that I have done with my tablet!)


3 comments:

  1. I think I saw you bring it to 3rd period English with Ms. Estrada

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cool.. You draw good.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Raul: Yeah, I brought it in to demonstrate how to draw a modern Japanese anime style. C:

    To Micah: Hehe, thank you so much! :D

    ReplyDelete